home speaking topics endorsements contact

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

"Out of Control:" Epilogue

For the explanation of my current series, go to the first installment: http://bit.ly/2nnCvFx


Out of Control:
A Christian Parent’s Victorious Struggle with Child Abuse

A Memoir by Kathy Collard Miller

Epilogue


April, 2017

Chapter 19 occurred at Christmas, 1977. As I've rehearsed in detail my story through re-typing these chapters into my blog, it has been a bitter-sweet experience. Although I've shared my story over five hundred times at speaking engagements and through articles, plus pointing to it in various forms in my books, this is the first time in a very long time I've focused on the details. At times I was brought to tears thinking of the violence and pain I inflicted on my precious daughter, a gift from God. I cringed as I faced the reality of how she, as an unprotected child, must have felt. Her confusion and fear seem even more real to me. As a lay counselor, I've heard the stories from adults who tell of that kind of childhood and it breaks my heart. And to think I was one of those abusive parents breaks it twice-fold.

Yet God in his gracious love knew the plan for restoration of our family and even empowered Darcy to forgive me for the pain I inflicted on her. Though I feared she could never possibly want a relationship with me, we are very close. She has wanted God glorified through the telling of our story. She loves God and seeks him as she is now a loving wife and mother of two. 

We are also close to our son Mark. And yes, Larry and I experience a wonderful and wonder-filled joyful marriage (tweet that!) far beyond what I could ever have imagined or desired at that Christmas. We are not only best friends, our passion is to see God glorified through our lives and ministry. We are on the "same page" of purpose and mission.

My desire is that you would have ever greater trust and hope in God regardless of your temptations, challenges, and failures. God is indeed the God of everlasting love and mercy.

If you are reading this and have never encountered this loving God as one who saw your need for rescue from your sin and sent his most precious Son Jesus to die for you on Calvary's cross, you can tell him you need him as your only source of saving. Whether your sin is like mine--uncontrolled anger, bitterness, and discontent--or something seemingly less destructive, you indeed have sinned. Only God is perfect. Face your need of a Savior and confess your sin and submit to him. He is calling to you and wants to redeem you and become the Lord of your life. You'll still have many challenges, but you'll have his power for this earthly life and you'll enjoy his presence in heaven. 

I'd love to hear from you through my website's contact form: www.KathyCollardMiller.com.



2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Kathy. I enjoyed reading each chapter. Your candid telling of your story was both encouraging and inspiring. I appreciate how you shared HOW the Lord was helping you. And HOW you were trusting Him. Spelling it out, helps others get a clearer picture. Thank you again for sharing. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randi, thank you so much for your encouraging support. I'm praying the Lord continues to use my story. Please join me in prayer for that. Because there is hope! Thank you!!!!

      Delete