With the coming of the New Year, we are prone to start thinking we must have resolutions. And with resolutions come the temptation toward perfectionism: I must keep my resolutions 100% correct and start the year off right.
1. Most of the time I sense God is disappointed with me.
2. I spend lots of energy evaluating my performance.
3. I tend to think in terms of "all or nothing."
4. I think I should have my act together by now.
5. My expectations tend to be unrealistic.
6. For me, "good" is rarely "good enough."
7. I often wonder why other people can't get their act together.
8. I'm compelled to straighten out misunderstandings.
9. I won't begin something if there's a possibility I can't do it well.
How many did you relate to? If you scored three or more, you have perfectionist tendencies.
Here's some background about how God began to work on my perfectionism. This occurred around 35 years ago.